Loading, please wait

Support for deaf people

  • Adult social care

BSL Tuesdays

All deaf and deafblind sign language users living in Barnet can use BSL Tuesdays for advice, information and support.

It opens every Tuesday from 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 4pm (last appointment) at JDA, Julius Newman House, Woodside Park Rd, North Finchley N12 8RP

Nearest tube: Woodside Park (Northern line, High Barnet branch)

On the last Tuesday of the month, someone from Barnet council will be there. You can ask them questions about council services - for example, getting equipment to help you at home.

BSL Tuesday coffee mornings

BSL Tuesdays hosts a coffee morning every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month for all deaf and deafblind sign language users living in Barnet.

You can meet new people and have tea and coffee at low prices.

  • Times: 10.30am to 1pm.
  • Where: Julius Newman House, Woodside Park Road, N12 8RP

Communication support for council services

1. Sign Video at Barnet House

If you are Deaf and you need to talk to someone from the council, you can use the Sign Video (PDF) service at Barnet House. 

2. BSL interpreters

The council has a Sign Language Interpreting Service to support Deaf, Deafblind and hard of hearing people in Barnet to have access to social care services.

This service can be used for social care appointments such as home visits, meetings with social services staff, and social care events. This service does not cover health appointments - the NHS has its own interpreting service.

The service is free. It provides:

  • BSL interpreters
  • Sign Supported English (SSE) interpreters
  • manual interpreters for Deafblind people
  • lipspeakers
  • speech to text reporters (palantypists)

For more information, you can email SLIS@barnet.gov.uk.

Communication support for emergency services

1. Barnet Police SMS services

Barnet Police have a mobile phone SMS contact number for deaf people who are in Barnet:

SMS: 07920 700 016

This is not for emergencies. This is not the same as the 999 number for hearing people.

Use 07920 700 016 for non-emergencies, for example:

  • telling police a crime has happened
  • getting advice about personal safety
  • telling police you are being bullied, teased or harassed

In a 999 emergency, you can use the emergencySMS service.

2. The emergencySMS service

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech-impaired people you can send an SMS message to 999 to call for help and the emergency services will be able to reply to you.

You will need to register your mobile phone before using the emergencySMS service. Visit the emergencysms website for more information or to watch their short video

Useful information in BSL

Video about what abuse is and where to report it.

Steps to being in control of your support - get the booklet to accompany this video.


  • Social Care Direct
  • Barnet House, 1255 High Road N20 0EJ
    Tel: 020 8359 5000
    Email: socialcaredirect@barnet.gov.uk
    SMS: 07506 693707(for text messages only)
  • Barnet Sign Language Interpreting Service
  • Tel: 020 8359 6093
  • FAX: 0870 889 6825
  • Email: SLIS@barnet.gov.uk
  • Julius Newman House
  • Woodside Park Road, off High Road
    North Finchley, London N12 8RP

Download documents

Rate this page