Loading, please wait

Registering a new build property for Council Tax

If your property is newly built, we will not be able to charge you Council Tax until the property is finished or the date we decide the property will be complete. This is the date on which the property becomes a dwelling for Council Tax purposes and is entered into the Valuation List.

When we believe that the property is either structurally complete, or where the work remaining can be reasonably be expected  to be completed within 3 months, we will issue a Completion Notice specifying the completion date for the property. We will serve a Completion Notice on the owner of the property or the person entitled to possession of it.

Once your property has been finished, please email us and provide the following information:

  • Property address
  • Your full name
  • The date the works were completed
  • Purchase/ completion date or start date of tenancy
  • Developers name and contact details

Or write to us, detailing the information listed above:

London Borough of Barnet
Revenue Services
PO Box 2016
WR10 9BH

The band of your property is set by the Valuation Office Agency. Our Council Officers will regularly visit and review dwellings that are being built or altered, please be aware that until the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) enter the property into the valuation list we are unable to send you a bill.

When the banding process has been completed your bill maybe backdated to the date you purchased property or to the date your tenancy started, so please bear this in mind and make the necessary arrangements.

The average band for a property is a band D. You can calculate roughly how much you will need to pay by visiting the Work out your Council Tax banding & valuation page.

What are Street Naming and Numbering (SNN) responsible for?

Street naming and numbering is the process by which streets and properties are allocated official addresses.

All new developments must be officially named or numbered, and existing properties that are being converted must be re-named and/or re-numbered.

As a developer or owner you must register postal addresses to avoid confusion in the event of an emergency and to receive mail, deliveries and other services.

Please only contact SNN if you wish to change the official name or number of your property. SNN do not have anything to do with the setting of bands.



Rate this page