Loading, please wait

Council Tax discounts

  • Council tax and benefits

A Council Tax bill is based on at least 2 adults living in a home.

Single person discount

You can get 25% discount off your bill if you live alone in your property, you can apply online for a single person discount.

Remove a single person discount

If you have someone staying with you for a short period (a few weeks) then you do not need to inform us. If they are staying with you long term then you should notify our office as soon as possible.You must be the person liable for Council Tax in order to remove a single person discount.

Once your single person discount has been removed a new bill will be issued to you.


You may be able to get a discount if you live with people who don’t count as adults for Council Tax (for example a full time student), this is called a disregard.

When considering the number of adults living in a property, we do not count certain people. These include:

Check if you can get a discount

Follow these steps to work out if you should get a Council Tax discount/disregard:

  1. Count the number of adults who live in your home as their main home.
  2. Do not count anyone who fits one of the conditions in the list above.
  3. Your Council Tax bill may be reduced by 25% if you’re left with 1 person who does not fits one of the conditions list above.
  4. Your bill may be reduced by 50% if everyone fits one of the conditions list above, including you.

Second homes and empty properties

Second homes and empty properties have different rules.

If we’ve already given you a reduction, it will say so in your bill, If your bill doesn’t show a discount and you think you should get one please email our office. If you claim a discount, you will still have to pay the amount detailed on your bill until we make a decision on your claim.

If we refuse your claim for a discount

If we refuse your claim for a discount and you disagree with our reason(s), you can make an appeal to our office. If you are still not statisfied with our explanation you may appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

If your circumstances change, you must let us know within 21 days as they may affect your entitlement to any discount. If you don’t let us know, we may impose a penalty and you will have to pay back the value of the discount.

To apply for a discount by post or for advice:

Write to: 
London Borough of Barnet
Revenue Services
PO Box 2016
Pershore WR10 9BH

Email local.taxation@barnet.gov.uk 

Call us on 020 8359 2608.

Lines open: Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5:15pm, Friday: 9am to 5pm

Rate this page