Loading, please wait

Housing Benefit

  • Council tax and benefits

Housing Benefit helps you pay your rent if you’re on a low income.

From the 16th May 2018, you can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you are in one of the following groups.

  • you are resident in supported exempt accommodation, or you have been placed in temporary accommodation by Barnet Homes
  • you have reached State Pension Credit age
  • you are part of a couple where one of you has reached State Pension Credit age
  • you have three or more children and have been advised to claim Tax Credits after 16th May 2018

If you do not fall into one of the groups listed above, you will need to make a claim for universal credit if you need help with your housing costs.

Housing Benefit helps you pay your rent if you’re on a low income.

Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.

You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working.

You may also be able to get help with your rent if your benefits stop.

Housing Benefit can’t be paid for heating, hot water, energy or food - if you need help, use a benefits calculator to see what else you might be entitled to.

Housing Benefit: eligibility

You may get Housing Benefit if:

  • you pay rent
  • you’re on a low income or claiming benefits
  • your savings are below a certain level - usually £16,000

You can apply if you’re employed or unemployed, but if you live with a partner, only one of you can get it.

If you’re single and under 35, you can only get Housing Benefit for bed-sit accommodation or a single room in shared accommodation.

Use a benefits calculator to check your eligibility or call us on 020 8359 2000.

Lines open: Monday – Thursday: 9am – 5:15pm, Friday: 9am – 5pm.

Who isn’t eligible

Usually you won’t get Housing Benefit if:

  • your savings are over £16,000 - unless you get Guarantee credit of Pension Credit
  • you live in the home of a close relative
  • you’re a full-time student - unless you’re disabled or have children
  • you’re an asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK
  • you’re residing in the UK as an European Economic Area jobseeker

If your circumstances change

You’ll have to tell us if your circumstances change as his can affect how much you get.

Complete a change of circumstances form to tell us what has changed.  You will have to supply evidence to prove the change.

You should tell us about changes like:

  • a change of income
  • the people that live with you
  • children leaving or starting school

Supply evidence like:

  • payslips
  • bank statements
  • birth certificates

Or you can write to us regarding your change in circumstances

By post

London Borough Barnet

Benefit Services

PO Box 2015

Pershore WR10 9BG

Drop it in, Monday - Friday 9am to 4.30pm at:

Barnet House

1255 High Road

Whetstone London N20 0EJ


Burnt Oak Library

Watling Avenue

Edgware London  HA8 0UB


Rate this page