Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction: make a new claim
- Council tax and benefits
If you are thinking of claiming Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction in Barnet, you can use one of the benefit calculators to see if you are entitled before you claim.
Once you have checked your entitlement, you can make a claim with us by following these steps:
1. Check your property is in Barnet
We can only process claims for properties in the London Borough of Barnet
2. Documents and evidence
You’ll have to provide the following original documents for all adults living in your house. Unfortunately, we can’t accept copies.
Proof of identity
One of the following for each member of your household:
- Birth certificate, marriage certificate
- Passport or National Identity Card
- Driving licence
- Residence permit or Immigration and Nationality Directorate Travel Document
Proof of your National Insurance number
One of the following for you and your partner:
- P45 or P60
- Letter from the Inland Revenue about tax
- Pay slips
- Letter from the DWP
- National Insurance card
Proof of income
All that apply:
- Payslips from the last five weeks if paid weekly, or last two months if paid monthly
- Trading accounts for the last financial year if you are self-employed. Or accounts for the period you have been trading if less than one year
- Student grant / Loan letter showing amount paid
- Award letters for any state benefit, pension or tax credits received
- Maintenance payments and proof of child benefit
Savings and capital
All that apply:
- Bank, building society or Post Office passbooks / statements for the last 2 months for all accounts held
- Share certificates or dividend statements for stocks or shares or bonds
- Property held in the UK or abroad
- Evidence of any other savings and capital must be declared and supporting evidence provided
Proof of rent
One of the following:
- Tenancy agreement signed by yourself and your landlord.
- Rent book
Proof of address
One of the following:
- Recent (within one month of claiming) utility bill or bank statement showing your current address
- Letter from your landlord / agent confirming the exact date you moved in
Proof of childcare paid, showing the name and address of the care provider, the hourly rate, when care is provided, and the carers Ofsted registration number
3. When to claim
You should make a claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction as soon as possible. Even if you don’t have all the evidence we need to support your claim, you should follow the process listed above so we can register your intention to claim.
We usually award benefit from the Monday following the day we receive your claim. Sometimes we can pay benefit from an earlier date if you have a good reason for not claiming earlier - this is called backdating.
4. Book an appointment
You will need to attend a new claim appointment to see one of our advisors. You can book an appointment by calling 020 8359 2200.
Lines open: Monday – Thursday: 9am – 5:15pm, Friday: 9am – 5pm.
020 8359 2200
Monday - Friday 9am to 4.30pm at:
1255 High Road
Burnt Oak Library
5. Collect documents & evidence
When you book your appointment, you will be given a list of documents we need to see. It is important that you bring these with you to your appointment, without them we cannot assess your claim.
You can use this form to make a claim for:
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Reduction
- Second Adult Rebate
To complete this form you’ll need accurate information about your:
- income, including your partner’s (e.g. from payslips)
- existing benefits and pensions (including anyone living with you)
- outgoings (e.g. rent, childcare payments)
- National Insurance number(s)
- Contact phone number and email address
6. Attend your appointment
You’ll need to bring all of the documents in step 2
The Benefits Officer will ask you about your circumstances and process your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim.
Your original documents will be copied and returned to you.
The officer will then explain the assessment to you and let you know how much Council Tax you need to pay.
The appointment will last for up to 1 hour.
You will be given a letter explaining your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support entitlement and a Council Tax bill showing your rebate and how much you’ll have to pay (if any).
Alternatively, Fill in our on-line Housing Benefit & Council Tax Support application form
Online application form * The form comes with notes to help you fill it in.
You will need to send in proof of your circumstances, please see step 2 for what proof is required.
Your documents should be sent to:
London Borough of Barnet
Appeal a decision
Once your claim has been assessed, you can ask us to look at a decision again if you think it is wrong.
- Benefits Services
- London Borough Barnet
P.O. Box 2015
- Tel: 020 8359 2111
- FAX: 0871 911 6101
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org