Loading, please wait


There's no legislation against domestic bonfires, however we may investigate complaints of nuisance arising from the smoke emanating from a fire.

If you believe you are being unreasonably disturbed by the smoke from a fire please contact our service so that an officer may visit you at your property.

The officer will assess the nuisance you are experiencing and then they will advise you of any action to be taken regarding the persons responsible for the bonfire.

To report a nuisance arising from a bonfire please contact the Environmental Health Service on telephone; 020 8359 7995 or email; nuisance@Barnet.gov.uk please include your address and telephone number as well as details of the premises where the bonfire is located.

Intending to have a bonfire

If you intend to have a bonfire your first consideration should be towards your neighbours and the effect the smoke may have upon them.

Our service does not encourage bonfires as Barnet is one of the most populated London Borough and it's unlikely you will be able to have a domestic bonfire without disturbing a neighbour.

We would suggest you consider composting garden waste, using the garden waste wheelie bin, or taking waste materials to Reuse and Recycling Centre.

Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre, Summers Lane, North Finchley N12 0RF

Tel:  020 8362 0752


  • Re Ltd Regulatory Services
  • North London Business Park (NLBP),
    Oakleigh Road South,
    London N11 1NP
  • Tel: 020 8359 7995
  • Email: nuisance@barnet.gov.uk

Rate this page