Loading, please wait

Council housing and housing allocation

  • Housing and Community

Apply for council housing

You can apply for council housing through Barnet Homes who manages housing allocations on the Council's behalf. 

Barnet Homes now run an appointment-only service. You can ‘drop in’ to Barnet House if you are homeless on the day. Customers at risk of becoming homeless must contact us as soon as possible on 0208 359 4797.


There's very few council and housing association properties available in Barnet and demand for housing far exceeds our supply. This means that:

  • We can only help people with the most urgent housing need, so most people will not qualify
  • Our first priority will be to help you stay in your current home
  • If we are able to help you find housing, we will make one reasonable offer of accommodation only. If you do not accept this, it is likely that we will not be able to help you further
  • You may be offered a home in the private rented sector
  • For most people the quickest and most effective way to solve your housing problem will be for you to find your own accommodation in the private rented sector. The private rented sector in Barnet is very expensive and if you are on a low income you may need to look for accommodation in areas which are more affordable for you.

You can read Barnet Council's full Housing Allocations Scheme here.

Council tenancies

If you are allocated a Council tenancy managed by Barnet Homes then you may be given a flexible tenancy or a secure tenancy.

Both secure and flexible tenants have many of the same rights, including:

  • the right to exchange
  • the right to consultation
  • the right to repair
  • the right to buy

The main difference is that flexible tenants have their circumstances reviewed 8 months before the end of their tenancy to see if they still need the Council's help.

For example, flexible tenants may now have enough money to secure a home in the private rented sector, or they may still need to be housed by the Council but in smaller accommodation because they are under-occupying their current home.

If we decide you no longer need a Council tenancy, you will be given 6 months notice and we will support you to find alternative housing. If the tenant refuses to move then the normal eviction procedure will take effect.


  • Barnet Homes
  • Barnet House, 1255 High Road, 
    Whetstone, London N20 0EJ
  • SMS: Text: 07903 324192
  • Tel: 0800 3895225, Type Talk: 18001 0800 3895225 
  • Email: talk2us@barnethomes.org
  • Housing Options Team
  • Barnet House, 1255 High Road, London N20 0EJ
  • Tel: 020 8359 4797
  • FAX: 020 8359 4188
  • Email: housingadvice@barnethomes.org

Download documents

Rate this page