Become a library member if you live, work or study in Barnet
When you join the library, you can borrow books, DVDs, CDs and audiobooks. You can also:
- have free access to the internet for up to 90 minutes per day
- borrow ebooks, audiobooks and digital magazines free
- access over 300 online resources from home for free
There are two types of library membership:
- full library membership for use in any Barnet library and online
- e-membership if you just want to use online resources
How to join
There are two ways to join the library:
If you are aged 15 or under, a parent or guardian will have to sign your application form for you.
If you apply online, your new card will be available to collect from a Barnet library of your choice. You'll be told when it's ready to pick up.
Using your library card
We'll give you a PIN number so that you can use the library computers and access our online resources.
Please bring your library card with you if you want to borrow or renew items in the library. You can also renew items by phone or online. You will need your library card and PIN number to do this.
Special library cards
If you are a childminder, preschool leader or foster carer you can have a special library card (in addition to your own personal library card) for books to share with the children in your care.
- Childminders: can borrow an extra 15 items, plus themed story boxes. Standard loan periods and charges apply.
- Preschool leaders: can borrow up to 30 items, plus themed story boxes. Books can be borrowed for up to 100 days and non-book items for standard loan periods. Standard charges apply.
- Foster carers can borrow an extra 20 books for up to six weeks, 2 DVDs (U, PG and 12 certificates) free of charge and themed story boxes.
Childminders, preschool leaders and foster carers must show proof of their name and address and their OFSTED or Local Authority registration documents when obtaining a special library card.
- People living with Dementia can borrow the standard 15 items with no fines on the late return of books. Fines and charges for DVDs and other items will apply.
Applications for special cards can only be made in the library.